Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Reflection on recent developments.

I tried to capture footage (for project Ngierof Mlif) onto the Macs yesterday. For some reason it wouldn't register the computer/camera connection. After about 20 minutes of fiddling with it, it froze and had to be shut down manually. This one project in particular I don't want to have to edit on my laptop, due to the size and the fact that I am already familiar with the effects I want to use on Final Cut. I will try to get it to work again after Easter.
I had a revelation on my Horror vs Chick Flick project, That is; to use my grandparents as actors! And use their house for location; it beats trying to find other actors....
So, I can shoot that over the weekend and hopefully get some editing out of the way before school resumes after Easter. I will edit this on my laptop. I will download the extra footage (Meet your meat- http://www.goveg.com/) tonight onto laptop and work out what I will use of that. I intend to shoot some of my own 'horror' footage to minimise copyright problems with using the downloaded stuff (not sure of the implications there). Just basic stuff; blood, guts, sharp implements...etc. I'll probably do that at the grandparent's place too.
I will ask Chris to show me layer animation on Flash8 after Easter also, so I can begin with animating my second project Ruby and the Morbid Children.
I have been watching some Tropfest films for inspiration. It's always wonderful to see what some people manage to pull off with minimal props/location. It encourages me to go back to basics with my ideas, and to find the simplest way to portray them.
I'm still working on a private project; a music video to Cannibal Corpse's-Stripped, Raped and Strangled. I need to shoot some more footage for that. That's also on the laptop; I don't know how much more footage I can fit on there (The little bar that shows hard-drive usage has gone red...red's not good, right?....) Anyway, that will probably be submitted under the Medley of Shorts umbrella in my end of year folio.
The proposal for Digital Projects is nearly done. My inquiry question being "Can I create entertainment using an original idea?" and "How can I take an old idea and re-invent it for entertainment?"
Watched Roger's presentation yesterday on "Knowing what we don't know..." not entirely sure what it had to do with Digital Projects...I think he just likes PowerPoint =P
Oh well, it was interesting (from a psychology and philosophy and PowerPoint point of view, not digital projects.)
I think that's all.
Until next time...

1 comment:

Roger Stack said...

Good update... Does your laptop have a CD/DVD burner so you can free up some working space? Computers behave badly when they start to get full... If not there are other technical solutions...

I'm glad you found my powerpoint obsession interesting from psychological and philosophical points of view... that was precisely the point I was making :-)

As for its relevance to Digital Projects I hope that becomes clearer as you get more familiar with the TQA Student-Directed Inquiry Syllabus.

Essentially all inquiry has strong psychological and philosophical components - even in your project.

Your project is full of metaphor that can be interpreted on many levels... Do you see yourself as separate from your pre-production, production and post-production processes and products?

I can already begin to sense your input in all four quadrants...